Thursday, June 3, 2010

Beach Vacay 2010

Over the Memorial Day weekend Josh, Landon, & I headed to the beach for our yearly vacation with our friends Richard & Ashley. This would now make for Landon's 3rd beach trip, and he's not even 2 yet!! There was no way that I could have predicted just how much fun this trip would be! I must admit that I was a little worried about this oil spill. I was wanting to get a sun tan, not an oil slick! I called a few days before our arrival and they assured us that everything was perfect! And they were right!!

I had been preparing Landon in the weeks before we left, teaching him about the sand, ocean, and how to say "beach"...though it sounds like "Beeee - Tuh - Chhhh" when he says it. He has to sound it out each time, it's super cute! A few days before we left for the beach I got this intense craving for a Miami Shaved Ice, so we drove down to McFarland park and picked out Landon's favorite flavor, Red. Yes, Red. I know, I know, that's a color, but to Landon it is also a flavor. What he meant was Strawberry. :)  Next to the building they have this great little sandy area where you can sit and eat your delicious treat so I felt this would be the perfect time for sand show & tell...what to do and what not to do, like eat it, throw it, or get it in your eyes! I didn't want him to be scared of it while in Gulf Shores.

The drive down to the beach went well. We met up with Richard & Ashley in Birmingham and had lunch at McDonald's. Though it isn't my favorite place to eat, Landon sure had a great time at the "Pay-Pace" (That's "play-place" in Landon talk). I wasn't sure if he was big enough to play in it, but he proved me wrong! Needless to say we also stopped there on our way home! It wore him out while we ate, and he ending up sleeping in the car! Woohoo!

{It's a long way down!}

{Playing in the playplace}

The day that we arrived in Gulf Shores we immediately took our luggage up to our room and headed down to the beee-tuh-chhhh. Of course Landon loved it! He was so cute sitting there by the ocean, digging holes and filling up his dump truck with sand. I know he enjoyed the freedom of being able to get down and dirty in the sand! He dug holes with his Daddy & Richard for nearly an hour and a half before it was time to get out of the sun. And just in case you were wondering, Landon was covered with a thick lather of SPF 50!! Every morning we would head to the beach and play until nap time. We were so lucky that he took such wonderful naps (because he was so worn out - it was hard for those legs to move in that thick sand!). After nap we would go out for lunch, then head back to the condo for some more fun at the pool! Landon has become very brave this year - leaping into the pool with Mommy or Daddy waiting to catch him! Kind of scary...but I love to hear him squeal with excitement! We did take one afternoon out to head to the outlet mall. We were able to get some good Memorial Day sale deals!!

{Taking a peek at Ashley}

{Beach boys}

{Mommy, I'm ready to play!}

{Mommy & Landon walking on the beach}

{Chillaxin}

Beach Trip 2010 from Lisa Newbern on Vimeo.


{Naptime with Daddy}

{Swimming in my floatie!}

{Landon LOVES the beach ball}


And have I mentioned food yet? YUMMY! I love seafood, and boy oh boy did we ever find some good restaurants this year! The very first night we went to Mikee's, a little seafood restaurant across from our condo. Landon flirted it up with our waitress so of course we had superb service! They were smitten with each other...he would bat his eye lashes at her, smile, and wave, and she would bring him treats from the kitchen. So funny! Of course we also went to our usual favorites, like Lulu's and The Original Oyster House, but we wanted some variety this year! Our meals were filled with delicious shrimp, crawfish, oysters, crab, and the catch of the day...and Ashley and I were on a mission to find out who had the best corn fritters! Mmmm, good! Desoto's Seafood Kitchen won!

{Landon & his favorite waitress}

{Richard & Ashley}

{Eating lunch at Desoto's}

{Sweet Boy}

{I Love You!}

{Lunch at Lulu's}

{The Original Oyster House}

The last two times that we took a beach vacation Landon wasn't as mobile yet, so there were not as many things that he could do. Well, that all changed this year!! Besides lots of fun on the beach and at the pool, we were able to take Landon to The Track this year. For those of you that have never been, The Track is a little amusement park with Put-Put golf, 3 Go-Kart tracks, a Carousel, Kiddie Swings, Bumper Boats, a Ferris Wheel, Bungee Jumping, and the SkyCoaster...which is a ride where they pull you back 110 feet in the air and you pull your own cord, plunging to the ground at 70 mph as you fly through the sky! While Ashley and I rode the SkyCoaster, the boys were interested in the go-karts. This was Landon's first ride in a go-kart! He loved it! Josh took him once, and I took him once. Bless his heart, he thought it was a tractor the entire time :) That was a very fun night!

{Fun on the Carousel}

{Daddy & Landon in the go-kart}

{Zoom, zoom!!}

We were also able to take Landon to his very first Zoo while in Gulf Shores! This little Zoo had been featured on Animal Planet and was known as the "Little Zoo That Could." It housed over 300 animals, and since Landon is such an animal lover, he had a great time! His favorite animals there were the deer and the goat, but I think that's because he was allowed to touch and feed them! He also took an interest in the loins, tortoise, crocodile, and ducks. We can't wait to take him to the Birmingham and Memphis Zoo's!

{Welcome to the Zoo}

{Feeding the Deer}

{Looking for Chuckie the Croc}

{Found him!}

{Well Hello Mr. Goat}

{Does it taste good?}

{Pretty Peacock that followed us around}

{Landon's 1st Zoo Adventure}

I learned something that I think is very valuable during this beach trip. As a parent you sometimes feel unappreciated. There are days when I honestly wonder whether or not Landon would care if I left for a day or two, whether he would miss me. Well I felt just how much my little guy loves me, and how he watches out for me. As I mentioned before, Ashley and I decided to do the SkyCoaster at The Track. I am very much a risk-taker and I love adventurous things! As Ashley & I suited up to go flying, my poor little Landon was sobbing over on the bleachers for me. I mean, watching your Mommy fall from 110 feet in the sky can be scary. However, the next day Ashley & I had reservations to go Parasailing. There is nothing scary about Parasailing...unless you're afraid of heights! I didn't hear him but Josh said that he screamed for me as I got on the Banana Boat and headed out into the ocean. Both times he was so happy to see me return! He wrapped his sweet little arms around my neck and held on. Oh, the feeling of being loved unconditionally is like no other!


{SkyCoaster}

{Getting suited up...safety first!}

{Who wants to pull the cord? ASHLEY!!!}

{No turning back now!}



SkyCoaster from Lisa Newbern on Vimeo.


{Mommy's Boy}

{Parasailing}

{Riding the Banana Boat}

{Parasailing Away}

{I WANT MY MOMMY}

{Yay! Here she comes!}

{We survived!}

{We love our hats!}

{Last day at the beach}

This beach trip was loaded with fun! We couldn't have asked for a better time. Each trip and each year with Landon just keeps getting better. The more he grows, learns, and is mobile just makes our little adventures more and more exciting! Next beach trip we hope to do a Glass Bottom Boat ride! I can't wait to see what fun is to come next year!


{Arrrrrg!}

{Until next time...}
Catch me, Daddy! from Lisa Newbern on Vimeo.

1 comment:

"B" said...

It looks like all of you had a great time! We were always a little scared to take the girls to the beach as toddlers but you make it look and sound so exciting! Glad you had fun! Hugs! B