So about a week and a half ago I went in to have my braces removed. I was so fortunate to find this great Orthodontist who said he could fix my gap in only 6 short months, so since I have always been super self-conscious about my teeth, smiling, etc. I went ahead and had them fixed. I know a lot of people never even noticed the gap (like my husband - he had no clue...) so here's a before picture so you know what I am talking about.
{Not a huge gap, but enough to bug me to death}
And a picture of me with my braces (it was VERY rare that I would smile while having these things on. I could only find 4 pictures that showed them. I didn't really want to remember it...especially a person my age with braces...)
{Look how little Landon looks! Awww}
Anyways, back to the funny part. Landon never really paid much attention to my teeth, or anyone's for that matter, before I got braces. Yet after I had them put on we sat down and had a talk about how he needed to be careful around Mommy's mouth - how if he hit me in the face, even if it was an accident, how badly it would hurt Mommy and I might cry. Well, the talk worked! He only bumped me in the mouth once or twice the 6.5 months I had them on...which for a busy toddler I think is good!
The day came for me to go in and have my braces removed. (WooHoo!) I didn't let Landon go with me, though he had been to a few wire adjustment appointments prior. He's usually really good, but I arranged for a sitter so that he wouldn't have to see them pulling and scraping at Mommy's mouth. I thought that might traumatize him for his own future dental appointments...and I must say it wasn't a very comfortable experience. When I returned home Landon didn't seem to notice that the braces were gone, but that evening at dinner when I removed my retainer (which I had to wear continuously for 4 days) so that I could eat, Landon just stared in confusion. I pointed out that my braces were gone and of course Curious George had to touch my teeth to make sure the braces were indeed gone. A few days passed of me taking my retainer in and out, cleaning it, etc., the entire time Landon would stare in amazement as Mommy took out her teeth. (Or at least that is what I think he thought I was doing...) Well the other night we all sat down for dinner. I put Landon's meal in front of him and then I sat down in my chair to dig in. I looked over at Landon and to my surprise, he was sitting there yanking at his top teeth! Bless him! He was trying to take his retainer out so that he could eat! haha! It was so funny! Since I only have to wear my retainer at night now, he doesn't do it as often. I found a pair of silly, crooked looking teeth that you would wear at Halloween in a box in Landon's closet yesterday. I gave them to him so he would have something to actually be pulling at when he tried to take out his "retainer". I have tried to get a picture with them in, but he's too fast! However...speaking of funny things, I was able to get a video of Landon doing his signature dance moves. HILARIOUS! This child will bust a move at any time, and this particular night he was really getting down! haha! Please excuse the excessive laughter in the background. Note that he had already been dancing on and off for about 15 mintues when I went to get my camera. My stomach muscles were already hurting from laughing so hard.
Dancing Machine from Lisa Newbern on Vimeo.
And lastly, here is a picture of me after the braces :) See, much, much better. Now I just have to whiten these babies and I will be ready for a family photo shoot!
{Happy Teeth!}
3 comments:
Beware. Mom and Dad made me dance to some crazy BeeGees stuff in '79. Be glad you haven't taught Landon his Scarface face.
Bahahaha!!! I could not quit laughing Lisa! That was hilarious!! I love that he's pulling all of his vehicles in the middle of the room while "I'm riding solo" is playing in the backgroud! He is so cute! Can't believe he will be 2 next week :)
He is absolutely precious! You have done a wonderful job with him! Love your new "smile"! I know you are pleased! If I can help with anything this weekend, just let me know! B
Post a Comment