Friday, March 26, 2010

Good News & Bad News

Normally when people ask me, "Do you want to hear the good news or the bad news first?" I always say, "Give me the bad news first so I have something good to look forward to!" However, for this post, I am going to give you the good news first so you have some background info! haha!

Yesterday Landon had his 2 week check up from his ear tube surgery. Dr. Long said that everything looked great! Yay! In hindsight I am so glad that we went ahead with this surgery. Our hopes are that Landon will not have to go through any more awful ear infections, although that is not for certain. He still could have an ear infection, but shouldn't have as many since his ears can drain now. I just didn't want to risk the chance of Landon's ear drum bursting or the infections impairing his hearing, so I am glad he had the surgery. Had you asked me that questions 2 weeks ago, I would have said, NO! I was a nervous wreck the day before his surgery and the entire weekend while he recovered. I don't think that his recovery was as easy as everyone said it would be. It really took him 2 full days to start acting like himself again and most of the Mom's I talked to said he would be back to his normal self within 4-5 hours after we got home! I'm sure every child is different though!

Now that Landon has his tubes, he must wear silicone ear plugs from time to time because since there is a hole in the ear, what now can come out is also an avenue for things to come in, which could cause infections. So, I guess he will be wearing plugs all summer long! haha! I am hoping that Landon is a fish like me and that he will love going to the beach and to swimming pools. He also has to wear ear plugs when he's around loud noises (like tractors...) because his hearing will be more sensitive. Does that mean he will be able to hear me when I say "No-no, don't touch that!"....well of course not. Hearing and Listening are two totally different things.  :)

So, for the bad news :( Ever since Landon got his really bad ear infection in December (it lasted almost a month!) Josh & I decided that it wasn't fair for the little guy to have to lye there in pain trying to go to sleep at night, so we have been rocking him to sleep. If we tried to put him down before he was in a good, deep sleep he would scream because just being in the horizontal position put more pressure on his ears. Bless his heart! So, now that we know that he is all better and has no reason for us to continue to rock him to sleep, it's back to self-soothing....which means he will cry himself to sleep. I know this sounds sooo harsh, and most people would say that I should rock him while he will let me, but it is seriously out of hand. I am currently in his room anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hr and a half just trying to get him to sleep. The boy is spoiled!!! Once Landon goes to sleep that is my time to clean the house, do laundry, get a shower, exercise, spend some time with my husband, etc. There is no other time in my day to accomplish these tasks, as my child has recently turned into a Tasmanian Devil and can destroy my organization during the day in 60 seconds flat. (Which might I add that I am SOO glad that summer is almost here! Playing outside means NOT making a mess inside :) So, starting Saturday night Landon will have 10 minutes of "Mommy Time" (this is where we cuddle and listen to music) and then it's off to see the sandman...solo. This isn't our first rodeo with the Ferber (aka 'Cry it Out') Method. We have tried this before and it usually takes him 3 to 4 nights of crying for about an hour and a half before he finally realizes that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I know that in the long run it will make things better for all of us....or at least this is what I keep telling myself! I want him to be able to go to sleep on his own before his pacifier goes to visit the paci fairy in July. Wow - that will be a scary day!
{My sweet little man, all ready for bed}

3 comments:

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Loved seeing y'all today! Landon is too cute! Hopefully the wind will die down a bit, and the 4 of us can walk this week! :) :)

Lisa N. said...

It was good to see y'all, too! Yay!! A walk sounds good!! We'll cross our fingers for nice weather!

Anonymous said...

i hope that the surgery would go well... the little monkey looks very cute. i would recommend you to try out eardoc before the surgery www.eardoc.info