Friday, March 12, 2010

Landon's First Surgery

Today Landon had his very first surgery -and hopefully his last! With all of the ear infections - 7 to be exact - that my poor baby boy has dealt with over the last year, it was time to get tubes. Little did we know when we went to see Dr. Long (the wonderful ENT our Pediatrician referred us to - I highly recommend him!!) he also told us that more than likely he would have to take out Landon's adenoids as well. Eek! I was not prepared for that. I didn't want anyone to cut on my baby!! I knew though that if it would help him it would be worth it. Plus, Dr. Long took out my adenoids and tonsils when I was 14, so I knew it would be okay. I just hated to think that he would be in pain and need anesthesia. I personally am not a huge fan of anesthesia and have never done well with it. I have a very difficult time waking up and the nurses did tell us that it is possible Landon would do the same. Yep - they were right - but more on that in a minute!

     
So, bright and early at 6:45 this morning we headed to the Surgical Center in Florence for Landon's appointment. To be so early in the morning they were packed! We did have to wait, but once we finally got back to the holding room Landon had lots of fun playing with all of the equipment. He especially liked the face mask! I was shocked! The only reason he liked it was because they rub cherry Chap Stick on it so that it will smell good. I must admit he tried to lick it multiple times. ha! Whatever works!
Of course ALL of the nurses were just smitten with my little man. He was blowing kisses, batting his eyes, waving Hi, you name it! Since there was only a curtain between us, you could hear everything the nurses were saying about him. I can't tell you how many times they would motion for another nurse, doctor, or receptionist to come to our area. We got a lot of "you've gotta see this little boy!!" They were so good with him. I think that is what finally made me chill out because I realized that Landon would be in good hands. They all liked him so much there's no way they'd let something bad happen to him.
("Tired Little Tiger" gown)                     (Superhero Landon!)
At 8:22 a.m. they told us we had to go - it was time for Landon to go back for surgery. He seemed very content sitting in his little hospital bed with his mask. The surgery only took about 30 minutes. Dr. Long said he did very well but that as he began to come off of the anesthesia he would be inconsolable for a while - and he was soooo right! Landon cried for a straight 30 minutes. He kept trying to rub his eyes with his little arm that had an IV in it. It was pitiful. All I could do it just sit there, hold him, and tell him how much we loved him. He finally calmed down and back to sleep he went. Josh's parents had come to the Surgical Center, but only parents are allowed in the holding and recovery rooms. Since Landon was crying we had a private recovery room so I got Josh to see if Landon's Nana could come back. You will never believe what I am about to tell you (so I’m glad I have witnesses). After Nana came in the room we were all talking to Landon to see if he would respond. (Remember people, anesthesia scares me!) Of course he had fallen back asleep at this time but in his sleep he reached up, took out his pacifier, and blew us a kiss. How stinkin' cute it that? Still my same adorable Landon! Just a little loopy... :)

(Nana & Papa in the waiting area)

                                                   (Landon with his IV)

Once we got the A-Ok to go home (around 11), the nurse had a few discharge items to tell us. She said that it would be normal if: he ran a temp, vomited blood, had a small nose bleed, and was cranky for a few days. His throat should feel sore and his ears should kind of itch. He's on an antibiotic for a week and we have to alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hrs. Well, to say the least, I am SOO glad my husband took the day off because I doubt that I could have handled all of the issues that arose once we got home. The only thing Landon hasn't done so far is have a nose bleed. They told us to only give him juice or water because milk might make him vomit. (Everyone knows that when a child has a fever you don't give them milk - it will spoil on their tummy) On the way home, Landon vomited blood all over himself. As soon as we got home, I had to clean the car, get Landon changed, and take apart his car seat to wash it. Landon was acting thirsty so since they said to give him juice, we gave him some apple juice. He seemed to enjoy it and then all of a sudden - BLLAAAHH!! He vomited all over himself and Josh. Cleanup and clothes change #2. Sooo...scratch the juice - now on to water. BLAH! He threw that up too! At this point Josh, Landon, and I are on our 3rd set of clothes. Bless his little heart. So as a last resort, I gave him milk. I mean really - what could happen? He might throw up? What's new! Oddly, he didn't throw it up! Landon must be the exception to the rule. I also gave him some club crackers and goldfish and we all just sat in the floor watching Cars the movie.
(Feeling much better now...still a little loopy but this popsicle is good!)

Landon has been extremely clingy today. I must admit that being able to just hold him has been kind of nice. He's been so mobile and busy that I haven't been able to do that since he was about 6 months old! Josh and I have spoiled him with milk shakes, popsicles, and visits to the garage...to see the tractor of course! He has slept 70% of the day, so Josh and I are curious as to what kind of night we will have. I see a big red chair, pillow, and a blanket in my future! ha-ha!


2 comments:

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Poor little Landon!! I'm hoping he starts feeling better very soon! He's such a cutie.

Robin said...

aw Lisa! I am soo glad Landon did ok! He is too cute! I know you were probably soo scared! I know I would be. I can't imagine Reese having a surgery. Hope you guys have a great week! Give him a kiss for me