This morning Josh, Landon, and I went out for lunch like we always do on Sunday's. We hate to go to a super busy restaurant because it takes too long for the food to come out and then Landon starts to get cranky as the time gets closer to his nap, but usually we are able to get their right when they open. Well everything was running late this morning so we didn't get to the restaurant until 10:50. (I know that's still early, but they open at 10:30) They were not really busy yet so we went in and were seated. Everything is fine at this point but Landon is being resistant to sitting in his highchair. He is going through this "big boy" phase where he is too good to sit in a highchair. This phase is annoying! (Sorry Landon, but it is!) Anyways, I pulled out these super neat-o disposable placemats that I bought at Target with Mater from Cars on it.
Thankfully that was enough motivation for him to sit in the highchair. While we were waiting for our food to come out Landon was being really good. He was just sitting there, smiling at the waitresses, eating crackers, and drinking his milk. To say the least the chef and our waitress were not on the same page. We had ordered spinach dip for an appetizer and then Josh & I split an entree. Oddly enough our waitress brought out our entree first and then later in the meal she brought out our appetizer. Odd...I know, but I adore spinach dip so I was like whatever! If we don’t eat it, I'll doggy bag it! Well when our food came out Landon decided he was done. He didn't want to eat (I couldn't blame him, his Mac & Cheese was cold!), he didn't want to sit in his highchair, stick a fork in the boy - HE WAS DONE! My husband is wickedly good at eating fast so he gobbled down his lunch and took Landon so that I could eat a little. Let me remind you that at no point during this time was my child acting up, throwing stuff, or screaming like the baby 2 aisles over. He was just very wiggly in his chair and to avoid him getting vocal we hurried to get him resituated in the booth so that he would be happy. As Josh was attempting to get him out of his highchair this couple sitting caddy-cornered to us turned around and gave me the evil eye. I thought, "Well, whatever. Would you rather him throw a roll at you?" and we went on about our business. At this point Landon is now sitting in the booth with Josh. All is well, and then our rocket scientist waitress brought out our spinach dip. Landon usually likes spinach dip, so Josh tried to feed him some...well that was a bad idea on our part. Landon wasn't having any of it. At this time Landon made a "UHHHH" noise, but nothing loud and rowdy. Well, the evil eye couple AND the couple behind Josh turned around and stared. I couldn't help but stare back. I was about to go into Bon Qui Qui mode thinking to myself, "OH NO THEY DIDN'T! RUDE!" (if you don't watch MAD TV, then you wont know who Bon Qui Qui is...youtube her. HIL-AR-I-OUS!) I was livid. It's one thing to look and smile, but to snarl your nose and continuously turn around like we were disrupting your lunch is ridiculous! Because we sooo weren't!!! At least we didn't have to get up and take our child out like one couple, and at least Josh & I weren't talking so loud that the entire restaurant knew where our grandchildren went to college (TURN UP YOUR BELTONE, MISTER!). Ugh! But did I stare? NO! Anyone who knows me even a little knows that I am OCD enough that if it was necessary to take Landon out, I would!
So Josh & I decided that today was probably the last time we will go to lunch at this particular restaurant. Cold food + rude people = not so happy Lisa. We prefer places that let us throw peanuts on the floor, anyway! So there! :)So, the moral of this story is, don't be so quick to forget that your child wasn't perfect either!!! I'm sure that every dining experience was not a walk in the park. Learn to enjoy the joyful noise of children giggling, wiggling, and being chatty...even at a restaurant. Of course I do hear other babies in restaurants, but it does not bother me because I have been there, done that! And I completely understand and empathize with those parents, and children! Who wants to sit still for over an hour anyways? Not me and not my child! Mommy's and Daddy's want to get out of the house for dinner once in a while, too!

No comments:
Post a Comment