Tuesday, March 15, 2011

There's a monster in the washing machine.

Close to a year ago, early one Saturday morning, I was doing my usual - cleaning the house and doing mounds of laundry - when all of a sudden I heard an unusual silence coming from the laundry room. "Hmmmm," I thought to myself, "I know I just put a load in, so why is the agitator not making that obnoxious noise?" I continued dusting, thinking it might be between cycles, but nothing ever happened. I went it to check on it and low and behold, the washer was FULL of hot water, but nothing was happening. This could not be good. We called to see if our extended warranty would cover any repairs on our washer and - of course - the warranty had expired 3 weeks prior to the incident, and going on what the repairman said, it would be $50 for them to look at it, plus whatever it would cost to have it fixed...which from the description we gave him, he said would/could be anywhere around $200. We decided that as much laundry as we do, and will be doing, we might as well get a new washer rather than wasting the money to have the broken one repaired.

Fast forward a year later. Here we are, $700 later, with a brand new washing machine. Since we're getting close to moving day, we have been cleaning out our detached garage...AKA our junk room where all of the things we dont know what to do with go...alas, the washer was there. Josh got to looking at it and thought he's give Hunt's repairman a call again. This time around the guy said it would only be $15 to look at it and he thought it would only be about $50 to fix it...funny how things change in a year. So, because we were just going to sit it on the curb, Josh figured - what the hey, lets have it fixed and sell it. It's only 4 years old, so we should (per the Hunt's Appliance guy) be able to get about $150 for it in working condition.

It did end up costing up about $58 to have the washer repaired, and we figured out just what the culprit was. Ever wonder where those odd socks go that you could swear the washer or dryer ate? Well, ours actually did! The agitator actually ate one of his Curious George socks!

Sad...

And just to note: this is now the second appliance that my son has had a small hand in breaking! I don't call him my little demolition dude for nothing! The first one was our 65" big screen TV, which he turned on and off and on and off until he blew up something inside of it that distributes the color. Needless to say, we went out and bought a new TV and spent the extra moolah and got an Entertainment Center that would not allow his little hands to get near the on/off switch!

No comments: