This past winter season, and now on into the spring, we just can not catch a break! Rather, we catch colds instead! Ugh! I had my husband to look it up at the Pharmacy just how many times Landon has been sick since November (when my Mom moved in) and this is his 7th sickness where we have made trips to the doc or ER and gotten meds for it - so really, this isn't even including the fever virus, which we have had twice!
It all started on Thursday. I picked Landon up from school, we came home and curled up in the bed to take our afternoon nap. He seemed really cranky and tired, but nothing out of the ordinary. When he awoke from his nap he was crying, saying, "Mommy, I am on fire!" and he wasn't kidding! When I took his temperature I could not believe my eyes. I honestly thought there was something wrong with our themometer, so I took my temp, and then his again. The themometer wasnt wrong, my baby really was on fire!
 |
|
His temp was a scary 107.0 degrees! I took it multiple times to be sure...so like any other parent I immediatly picked up the phone, called the doc, and started prepping us to head to the hospital. It was 4 in the afternoon, so I didn't know if I should rush to the ER or to the doc since it was so late in the day. They told me to come in immediatly rather than going to sit and wait in the ER, so that's just what we did. I flew across the bridge at 85 mph and managed to hit every single red light on my way...of course! I had grabbed some Icee pops and a wet wash cloth for Landon before we headed out to try and cool him down, and I gave him a dose of Tylenol too...plus the AC was on high in the car. By the time we got to the doctors office his temp was down to 102.8, but that's still really high! I was scared to death! You could look in his pitiful little eyes and tell he didn't feel good.
We ended up seeing two doctors while we were there because they were worried about his temp and the fact that all of his test results came back negative...negative for the flu, white blood count was ok, he was still drinking, etc...so the last thing to check was an X-ray...even though with the stethascope his lungs sounded okay. Well, the results came back and our little fella has pneumonia :( It was streaked all in the upper left lobe of his lung. They had to give him a big old nasty shot in the leg, which hurt so bad he couldn't walk, plus we were given antibiotics and we were instructed to give him Tylenol and Motrin every four hours, even if he didn't show a fever. In addition, we had to return the next morning for a recheck...this was our attempt to keep him out of the hospital. The Dr. G said if his fever continues throughout the weekend and into Monday that we would have to go back, yet again, for another check. I just hope it all clears up by then! I hate for him to be sick!
 |
| My poor sick baby... |
So where in the world did he get pneumonia? Well, my first thought was school...but when Josh and I got to thinking about it, his symptoms really started late Sunday night. That's when he started having a little dry cough. We thought it was just allergies. It had been a gorgeous day and we had been outside with everything blooming...and Landon has terrible allergies like his Daddy and his Papa! So we just wrote the cough off as part of his allergies. Then, on Monday night he had a hard time sleeping, and still had the dry cough, but no temp. Tuesday and Wednesday were the same, and then on Thursday is when the temp set in and it was all down hill from there. So, at some point in the day on Sunday he came in contact with the sickness :( We had gone out to eat, to the hospital to visit family, and even to a few stores, so there's no telling where we came in contact with it! I just really want him to feel better!
This has been a very sad and hectic weekend, as my husband's grandfather, affectionately known to all of us as Pawpaw, passed away and we have to go to the funeral tomorrow, so I need my baby boy in good health! And to put the cherry on top, Josh woke up this morning sick :( He didn't waste any time before he got up and headed straight to Express Meds! They gave him 2 shots and 3 medications! So far, I don't have any of it...maybe I have FINALLY built up my immunities with all of the sickness I have had this winter!
 |
| Pawpaw surrounded by his Great-Grandchildren |
No comments:
Post a Comment