Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tomorrow! You're Always A Day Away...

So lately at the Newbern residence we have been "stuck in a day, that's gray, and lonely." We are, however, beginning to make some headway with this crazy sickness. As I predicted, my hubby did indeed get the stomach bug. Apparently the sickness lasts on average 3 days, so by mid week we were finally on the down hill slope to going back to school (Landon), going back to work (Josh), and cleaning the house & doing our mounds of laundry that somehow managed to pile up during this sickness (me). On Wednesday we could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! I laid Landon's school clothes out, cleaned up the house, and finally coated our home in a lovely layer of Lysol Disinfectant as we headed to snuggle in our beds. I had no trouble going to sleep, but my husband decided that he wanted to stay up a little bit and watch some TV, so I left him to it.

Around 3 a.m. we heard a cry from Landon's room. Josh went in, put the paci in his mouth and covered him up with his blanket and headed back to bed. Then, at 4:30 a.m. we heard a blood curdling scream come from Landon's room, so I popped up in bed and looked at our video monitor while Josh stumbled in there to check on him. Before Josh could even turn on the lights I heard it, the noise we were certain was no longer living in our house - vomit :( Landon had been woken up by the sickness, and seemed to be startled. So, at 4:30 a.m. I jumped into Super Mommy mode, stripping Landon of his clothes, cleaning him up and putting some clean, warm clothes on him, stripping his bed of it's sheets, and starting yet another load of yucky laundry, On a side note, I find it very funny how when my child needs me at any hour of the night I can jump right up, but when I used to get up at 5:30 a.m. for work, I would dddrrrraaaagggggg out of bed and into the shower like I was being tortured. Strange.


Anywho, when duty called me at 4:30 a.m. I was there. I knew that we couldn't put him back in his bed because in past experience anything that wakes him in the night also hindered him from returning to his peaceful slumber, so to our bed he went, snuggled in between us. Just as a safety precaution I gave him some baby Zofran, but within 30 minutes of curling up in the bed we realized it wasn't going to work. I don't know why, but Landon chose to throw up on Josh, so to the laundry room I go at 5:00 a.m. with more yucky laundry. By this time it is very apparent that we are not sleeping in our bed. Lying down was just not an option for Landon, so I volunteered, since I didn't stay up and watch TV until midnight, to sit in a chair for the remainder of the night/morning so that Landon could get some well needed rest. As soon as the office opened I called Landon's pediatrician. We were able to get an appointment and were told this: "When children get the stomach bug for the very first time in the lives it is never a 24 hr thing (like the ER doc had told us). In most cases it can take anywhere from 1 to 1.5 weeks for it to completely clear up. He may throw up 1 day, then be fine the following day, then have diarrhea and vomiting the next day. As long as he doesn't become dehydrated we have to let his system figure out how to build up the immunities to this bug so he can better fight them next time." Wow - news to me! (And apparently someone should inform the ER doc, too!) Dr. G's explanation was spot on - that is exactly how this has been going. One day on, one day off, and by far the worst day ever on day 3, then day 4 looks peachy. This virus is so sketchy! So the doctor said that hopefully by Saturday or Sunday Landon should be rid of this nasty virus for good. I just hope he doesn't loose any more weight! He's already lost 10% of his body weight! He wont eat, and only drinks about 2 or 3 sippies of Pedialite during the day...but the doc insists it's fine.

Good news? We do actually have some! My baby boy is potty trained! 1 sure fire way to get 'em potty training - do it while they have the stomach bug! haha! (No, of course this is not the best way, but it worked for us!!) Poor baby quickly caught on to the "urge" and runs for his potty every time it hits him! He's been doing really well with it, even wearing big boy underwear during the day, but a good-nights diaper at night. Woohoo! A full blog post to come next week...this one with pictures! (Nothing incriminating or embarrassing, I promise!)

I apologize for no pictures in the post. Haven't really been in a picture-taking mood this week!

2 comments:

The Gists said...

Poor baby! I hope yall all feel better soon.
Congrats to Landon on going Potty!!! Just be aware they sometimes regress when baby #2 gets here. That is what Emma did and she still doesn't go potty like she did before brother was born.

Lisa N. said...

Thanks! Yea, I thought that when baby gets here he might regress some...and not just in the potty training dept! We made a "to-do" list for Landon on New Years Eve of things he needed to accomplish by May 2011...so at least we kinda/sorta have one out of the way! haha!