Wednesday, May 19, 2010

That's What He Said...

As of Monday morning I still could not put any weight on my stupid ankle, so I called the doctor to get an appointment. Luckily they could work me in that afternoon. As the day went on and my appointment time grew closer, I was second guessing myself. My conscience was telling me...: "There's no need to go to the doctor, it's just a silly little sprain. All Doc will tell you is to take it easy for a few days, pop some Motrin, and be careful. It'll wear off." (I can justify myself out of anything...) It seemed wasteful for me to pay our co-pay when I already knew what he was going to tell me. However, since my hubby was home, he insisted that I go, just as a safety precaution so that my ankle wouldn't ruin our upcoming vacation.

So we go to the doctors office and wait for them to call me back. The first thing they did was take an x-ray, and just as I thought it was not broken. The doctor came in and took at look at my ankle and said, "Wow - that's still really swollen to be a 2 day old injury!" I'm sure the look on my face said it all - I was so confused! It was swollen, but nothing like the last 2 times I did this. The doctor proceeded to push on every part of my foot, ankle, and calf, and concluded that it was a sprain (just as I thought...) and that I needed to wear a brace for 3 weeks while taking 800 mg of Motrin. I didn't expect him to have me wear my brace for 3 weeks, but the next thing out of his mouth I really didn't expect: 3 weeks of physical therapy! Holy Moly! With all of my injury's in the past, I have never had physical therapy. He said that would help with my "well above average swelling."...whatever that meant! haha! There's only one problem with all of this. My ankle is going to get in the way of some really important things over the next three weeks. This Friday Josh & I will celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary, and on that same night we are leaving Landon overnight for the very first time! To say the least I am having some anxiety about being away from my baby, but Josh & I need this time!! I don't think my brace will look nice with my dress and heels! Also, next week we are going to the beach. My brace will make for a lovely tan line ;)  With all of our travels I don't really have time for physical therapy. My husband said that I don't really have to go, but I don't want my ankle to be one of those things I will forever have trouble with, and if the therapy will help, I think I should do it. I don't know...

{My yucky, swollen, bruised ankle
on day 4. Looks much better!}

And since I can barely walk, let alone jog, I haven't been able to exercise since Saturday. I feel yucky. I never realized how good exercising was for me! Not only does it give me something to do outside with Landon, but I was really loosing weight in the process, too! I dreadfully got on the scales with morning and to my surprise, I was up 5 pounds! NOOOO! So much for wearing my new bathing suit at the beach. Looks like I'll be a t-shirt after all. Ugh...

On a positive note, Landon has been so sweet with me since I hurt my ankle. He has been very understanding about the fact that we can't be outside 90% of the day! We have been sitting inside, reading books, singing songs, working puzzles, and watching cartoons. I do manage to walk to the mailbox, which is a real treat to get outside (pathetic, I know!) and we will sit on the porch or in the yard a little and watch the tractors and trucks at UNA while they do construction. He has been in heaven with all of the bulldozers and dump trucks driving by our house all day, every day! Our neighbor, Ms. Bonnie, even came over and walked Landon over to see the tractors up close for me. He had lots of fun!! Hopefully this silly ankle will be good to go for Friday, because regardless, I am going to get a mani/pedi! haha!

 Watching the tractors :)

 {Going to see the Tractors with Bon-Bon}

{Mommy, Shrek needs some milk, too!}

{My Sweet Angel}

1 comment:

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

ugh! I had noo idea your ankle was this bad!! What a terrible time for this to happen! If you need me to do anything for y'all, just let me know!