Friday, August 6, 2010

School or No School? (WARNING - Lengthy Post!)


OK, readers. So I am having a little bit of an issue. For a few weeks now I have been throwing around the idea to my husband about putting Landon in a "Mommy's Day Out" type program. It's only from 9 until 1 for 2 days a week, so it's not like day care or anything. I would use this time to clean the house, get a haircut, go grocery shopping, work on Landon's baby books, do holiday shopping, etc. I feel like I would end up having more quality time for my family in the evenings if I had a few moments of "me" time a week to get my chores done rather than having to wait for everyone to go to bed before I can do anything. I honestly can not remember the last time that I went to bed before midnight - and it's not because Landon keeps me up (he goes to bed at 8) and Josh is usually in bed around 10:30 or 11.

Not only do I think that this would be good for me, but I also think it would be great for Landon. This past summer my MOPS group held something called "Fun Camp" where every Monday in July we would get our kids together from 9 until 12 and they would rotate activity centers. At first Landon was VERY hesitant, crying if I slipped out of his sight for a second. However, by the end of the month Landon was so excited about getting to play with his little friends! In fact, the last day when we pulled up to the church he said, "CAMP!" and started clapping. He still wanted me there, but he loved playing and running with the kiddos, and he especially loved music, sensory play, and reading time. I think that a day or two a week would help get him used to other children and it will allow him to socialize with other kids his age. I don't want Landon to be that kid who stands in the corner playing solo while the other kids run and play because he doesn't know how to socialize.

So this all sounds like I have my mind made up, right? Wrong. I feel so incredibly guilty and selfish when I even think about putting him in day school. I feel as if my baby will be gone forever. I mean, I WANTED to be a stay-at-home Mom, so I can't help but ask myself why am I considering putting him in day school. Ugh! And it doesn't help the fact that when I first discussed this with Josh he said, "Is this really for Landon, or is this just so you can have a break?" I mean, really! I have a wonderful husband, but he has NO idea. I know he comes home some days and thinks to himself, "What has she been doing all day?! This house is a wreck!" but I am sure (or at least I hope) deep down he understands.

So here is my problem. I have narrowed it down to 2 day schools. School #1 Landon is already familiar with because it is where my MOPS group meets. Also, Josh and I are changing churches so that Landon will be around more kids and so we will be attending the church where school  #1 is located. It will be great because I feel like he will be more comfortable in this program. There are lots of children that Landon has played with before attending this school, and the teachers seem really sweet! Very grandmother-ish. The only downside to this program is that 1) only the Monday/Wednesday class is available to Landon and I was really hoping to do Tuesday/Thursday, 2) it starts Monday - yes, as in 3 days from now, and 3) it is significantly more expensive that school number 2. I don't want the money to be a big issue, and my husband said it's not, but since I am not working to me it is a big deal to me. Make sense?

School #2 is also a great program. We already know a few people that attend this school, but they are younger than Landon. It doesn't have as large of a class size, which may be a good thing. Landon and I went to tour it today since I feel like I have to quickly make up my mind (so that if I decide I want him to go to school #1, I don't miss the boat). He was very timid when we got there - he wanted nothing to do with it. However, once the director showed him the closet full of toys he perked right up. By the time our visit was over he didn't want to put the toys away and leave...which I think is a good sign. School #2 doesn't start until September, so that would give me some time to ease into the idea of Landon going to school, as well as getting Landon prepared mentally. Also, this school has the Tuesday/Thursday option available for Landon. Plus, the director said that their program is very flexible, and if for some reason I needed to bring Landon on a Tuesday/Wednesday instead of Tuesday/Thursday one week, we could arrange that. I like that option! OH - and another great thing about this school is that in the 2 year old classroom there is a bathroom attached with a tiny little potty to help with potty training! I thought that this was great since we are beginning to potty train Landon! In school #1 a teacher would have to escort the student to the restroom. The only downside to school #2 is that I don't feel as if Landon would be as comfortable there, I haven't met the teachers so I don't know if Landon will like them, and since I don't know the kids that will be in his classroom, I don't want him to be surrounded by a bunch of biters! haha! I know I am probably thinking about this too much, but this is my baby we are talking about!! :)

One thing to note: All of the schools I have looked at seem to run on the same schedule. At this age the teachers really focus on play time, reading, craft, and sensory play...so in terms of education it doesn't appear that one is "better" than the other. I honestly think that any of the programs that I have looked at would be fabulous! I don't really think that I could go wrong - I just hate making decisions like this!
I NEED HELP!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I vote for #2. Landon is a socialite, so he'll do fine wherever. Can't make new friends if you don't meet new people! And I like all the pros of this option. Cheaper, more flexible. Just my humble opinion...since you asked;-) Ashley K