Thursday, November 18, 2010

Very Interesting...

So, I just got home from the doctors office. I have a nasty cold that I have successfully given to my sweet husband. But, just to make it clear, I got it from my sweet baby boy, Landon! Gotta love those school kid germs :) I keep reminding myself that it will all be worth it - this will build up his immune system (and mine, too, apparently...) We all have the "crud." Runny, itchy eyes, runny nose, congestion, scratchy throat - which is accompanied by a raspy cough, fluid behind our ears, but fortunately no fever! Landon is pretty much over his, but his medicine made him break out in a little booty rash. Josh went to the doc this morning and got 2 shots and 4 prescriptions! Yikes! Good thing he works at a Pharmacy or we'd never be able to afford all this medicine!

I went to the doctor this afternoon to hear the sweet sound of baby Newbern's heartbeat in my tummy :)....and to get some meds, too! His/Her heart rate was 167 bpm, which so just happens to be right about what Landon's was as this stage. Josh & Landon still say girl, I am thinking boy - but who knows! I am right around 11 weeks, so very close to being out of this first trimester! Woohoo! See ya, morning sickness! :) Dr. A went ahead and got all of our delivery info in the computer, she since knows I am a super planner :) I mean, I did walk in at 20 weeks with a birthing plan, schedule, etc. in hand for my last pregnancy! ha! Everything is good to go! Location of birth - check! Pediatrician - check! Schedule C-section - check! Type of pain meds - check! All other preferences - check! It is now kind of feeling real to me! I was so excited that Landon and Josh were able to be there with me to hear the heartbeat! It was a very special moment for Landon, as when he heard the "thump thump, thump thump" from the doppler, his eyes got real big and he pointed to my belly with a big smile on his face! Precious!

While at this appointment Dr. A told me I don't need to take my prenatal vitamins anymore (don't freak out, there is an explanation). At the end of this trimester I have opted to take a Flintstones vitamin and an iron/folic acid supplement because most all of the prenatal vitamins are made with peanut oil. Well...I am allergic to peanuts! I hate taking medicine period, but the peanut oil gives me migraines, so I have been taking lots of Tylenol and trying to sleep off the migraines. I know how important this 1st trimester is, so I will deal with the migraines, but I plan to make the switch during the 2nd trimester, when so many of the vital parts have already been formed. Dr. A agreed that this would be perfectly safe for me to do, since prenatal vitamins and Flintstones vitamins (yes, the yummy chewy kid ones!! haha!) are very similar in ingredients (just minus the peanuts!)

Something else that I found very interesting during my visit came about when I was telling the doc about my horrible back pain on the lower left side of my back. When I had Landon, the epidural caused some minor, temporary nerve damage to my left leg, and with the uterus becoming enlarged again, the nerve pain is back :( It's not that bad, and it comes and goes. Of course I notice it more when I have been carrying around a 39 pound 2 year old most of the day! But, getting back to the interesting information. Dr. A said, "Well, typically the second babies tend to be a little larger than the first." WHAT?! O. M. G.! I didn't even have gestational diabetes with Landon and he was 10 lbs. 2 oz. and 23 - 1/2 inches long!!!! Mercy alive! No wonder my stomach is already protruding! I am going to have an 11 pound baby this time! Genis Book of World Records, here I come! haha! (Not really, I don't think I could handle a 19 pound baby in my womb. That's the world record. Ouch) So, with that said, I don't feel so bad about my weight gain (to be fair, I have only gained 3 pounds, but it looks and feels like more!) Who knows, I may even get around to posting some belly pictures soon! :)

1 comment:

Kellie Belue Jordan said...

I am 13 weeks and I swapped to flinstones gummy vitamins! They are so GOOD!!! LOL, it is like eating gummy treats. Congrats! I had a hard time with the prenatals because they made me throw up. I can't imagine taking them and being allergic to them.. Geez, you are a trooper!