Tuesday, November 23, 2010

When it rains, it poors!

With this week being Thanksgiving, I was hoping to post daily about everything that I am thankful for. Right now the main thing I am thankful for is my husband. Why? Because honestly, he is the ONLY reason I am surviving right now. God couldn't have found me a better person who loves me unconditionally and takes care of me - and my family - like no one else could...or would! And the fact that he rubs my back every night so that I will sleep better is simply to cherry on top. Joshua! I love you!

I know in my last post I mentioned that here at our residence we seem to be passing around the sickness. When we took Landon to the doctor 2 weeks ago we were told that he has an upper respiratory infection. When Josh went, same thing, and ditto for me, too! Well, we have all long finished ours meds and should be A-Okay by now, right? Wrong. Landon and I woke up this morning and it seemed as though the sickness had gone from bad to worse, with me personally feeling the worst yet! At least Landon is somehow finding some energy! I immediately called the doctors, Landon's first since he's usually harder to see, and mine second. Fortunately we were able to get in at 9:30 with Landon's doc, but my doctor doesn't like to bring in the sick ones, but rather just call in some meds so not to spread the sickness. I think that after listening to me over the phone she changed her mind, and fast. They told me to come in right after we saw Landon's doctor (the offices are next door to each other) and they would give me a shot to clear it up, however she did note that the medication I was on last week should have cleared up this sickness, not made it worse, so we could be looking at something more serious. Great...

Well, just as my doc had noted, we were definitely looking as something more serious. Landon's doc did a check x-ray just as a precautionary measure. His lungs sounded fine from the outside, but the x-ray showed a little touch of pneumonia. The doctor explained to me that the two rounds of antibiotics Landon has been on the past few weeks has not been treating what we thought was a URI, but rather pneumonia. Yikes! With my cough even deeper, I just knew what was to come. Landon's doc put him on another round of antibiotics, this time a stronger dose, and for a longer period of time, and told me that yes, it was contagious, but only if you are in his face/vice versa (kissing, him coughing near you, etc)....and of course it would be contagious if you were to share a drink. Oops.... Looks like we will be spending our Thanksgiving alone, and turkey & dressing-less :( Boo!

After we left Landon's doc we moseyed on over to mine. She gave me a lovely shot on antibiotics in the hip (which might I add is STILL hurting...) and said that if I was not better in 48 hours it would be necessary for me to go to med plus or even to the hospital. Now we are not 100% sure that I have pneumonia, since I didn't want them to do a chest x-ray, but all signs seem to point in that direction. The nurse never came out and said, "Yes, I think it is pneumonia"...I’m sure she didn't want to open a can of worms, but she kept saying, "It seems like something more serious going on here." Here's hoping that my antibiotic shot works!! Thanksgiving dinner from Helen Keller hospital cafeteria does not sound appetizing…just saying!

Josh is going first thing tomorrow to get a chest x-ray, but he seems to be much better. One thing that I am also very thankful for is the fact that as of yet, my mother has not gotten this from us! She hasn't even gotten the cold that the 3 of us thought we were passing around. I attribute this to the fact that I have been a strict warden, making her stay in her room most the day. Other than meals, bath time, and during Dr. Phil and Oprah...her two favorite shows...she is in her room with her puppy dog, Hershey. She doesn't seem to mind, but I am sure that's because she doesn't want to get sick just as badly as I don’t want her to get sick!

So I can't help but wonder, what's next? Let's hope this is it! I'm tired!!!

2 comments:

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Oh Lisa! Bless your heart...and Landon & Josh's, too. I'm sorry y'all are sick for the holiday. Please take care of yourself & little baby Newbern!! If you need me or Will to do anything, don't hesitate to call us!!

The Gists said...

Lisa, I had this same situation last summer. After four rounds of antibiotics they put me on Avelox and it cleared it up in 4 days. The nurse practitioner told me it is for pneumonia. Just something you might want to ask about if your shot doesn't make you feel better. Of course I don't know if you can take it since your pregnant.