As mentioned in my last post, this past weekend I was given a sweet sprinkle for Corinne. Well, toward the end of the sprinkle my tummy started feeling yucky, but as I always do, I just thought I had over done it on the punch. I mean, that stuff was delish! I am notorious for having a few glasses too many, so I was certain that is what it was. Well, when I got home, which thankfully was only two blocks away from where my sprinkle was held, I started getting those weird cold chills and my mouth started watering, so I knew just what was around the corner. I ran, literally, up the stairs to our bathroom - which might I had we still had no plumbing at this point - and ended up throwing up not once, not twice, but 5 times! After I brushed my teeth and headed back downstairs (because we had guests that had stopped by to see our house) I thought I was going to be okay. After 20 minutes passed, and I got the feeling again...so back upstairs I went and had a repeat of before. Uh oh. This couldn't be good. It was strange though, I didn't feel bad. Usually with the stomach bug you are all achy, miserable, etc. but no, I felt fine, my stomach was cramping a little, but overall I felt fine.
Well, the evening progressed and around 7 pm I called L&D and asked them what they thought I should do. It's never a good thing to be dehydrated, but it's even worse when you're pregnant, so I didn't know if I should go in or not. The nurse told me to take a Zofran (I had some dissolvable ones) and drink some Gatorade and try to rest to see if it would get better. If not, I should come on in. Well, by 9pm it appeared that I was not going to be able to keep anything down, even after taking the Zofran which usually works like a charm, and I was becoming very light headed and the cramps were getting worse. Josh called his Mom to come sit with Landon and we headed to Helen Keller. (Let me add here that it was a full moon that night...as my husband so kindly pointed out on the way to the hospital!) They admitted me immediately and monitored the baby to see how she was handling all of this. Luckily she didn't show any signs of stress and I was not have contractions, so they had me drink some water so that I could give them a urine specimen (that is such a gross word). About 10 minutes after drinking the water it was clear I was not going to be able to give them anything but vomit, so they tried to give me an IV, which was not easy since being dehydrated causes your veins to shrink...that and I am terrified of needles. They finally got the IV in an pumped me full of 2 bags of fluid and 1 bag of potassium...since my blood work showed I was low. They also gave me a huge shot of phenergan and holy moly, you'd have thought I was high as a kite. Josh couldn't keep from laughing at me because I was talking out of my head, slurring my words. It was unreal. The room was spinning, but I didn't care! They ended up keeping me until 2:30 a.m. Monday morning but told me not to eat for at least 12 hours, and then just eat something light. So what did I choose for lunch? Cheese dip...what was I thinking? Anyways, even though it did not settle well in my tummy, I didn't throw up! And today I feel pretty good...so hopefully the worst has passed and I haven't gotten anyone else sick!
Sick :(
...but Baby Corinne was doing just fine!
No comments:
Post a Comment