and it's not the contagious kind. The sick to your stomach, nerves & anxiety kind. For those of you that are wondering, "What are you so nervous about??" let me feel you in. While searching for some of Landon's baby pictures to make a coffee table book for Christmas, I realized that my trusty external hard drive - with ALL of Landon's pictures on it - was fried!
After a worrisome past few weeks, I am happy to report that a lot of the pictures on my external hard drive have been recovered...but the part that makes me sick is that ALL of the pictures from May until now are gone :( Yes, even all of the pictures from Landon's 2nd Birthday Party.
Please note, because I KNOW I am not the only camera crazy Momma out there, please, please, please back up your photos! And not just on an external hard drive, but a server somewhere like Flicker, Picnik, or I know that Norton has a back-up server when you use their anti-virus software. The wonderful people at ShoalsWEB said that all too often Mom's and Professional Photographers alike will think they are doing the right thing by putting them on a CD, flash drive, external hard drive, etc....but what happens when you (God forbid) have a fire? Spill coffee on your electronic device? Your dog...or child... gets hold of it? There are soooo many "freak accidents" that can happen. Your files are just never really safe unless you upload them to a server, or you have a printed copy that you can scan somewhere. I was really, really good about printing all of Landon's pictures up until April of 2010, but from there on (which just so happens to be the files that are pretty much lost) I have not been good about it. Booo! I guess thank goodness for Facebook and this blog, or I would have nothing, nada, zilch!
Take this as your warning, friends! Keep those files safe because one thing is for certain, you can not get those precious memories back. Lesson learned here!


No comments:
Post a Comment